Thursday, February 3, 2011

Build a Healthy Body Through Proper Nutrition

Yes, we've all been there--seduced by that delicous, rich truffle blended with dark, decadent cocoa fudge and creamy vanilla soft serve. Then you say, you've gotta live a little right? YES I do agree, but living for me is eating a clean diet rich in nutrient dense foods. I clearly understand the powerful words of a Dairy Queen blizzard, but choose to treat myself only if I've worked extremely hard and deserve it. Meaning you've reached your diet and fitness goals. If you want to lose weight, feel great and live a healthy lifestyle--proper nutrition needs to come first, especially if you have a goal to reach.

A good nutritional eating plan can be 80% of your overall success. What I mean by a "clean diet" is foods that haven't been processed or stripped of their vital nutrients. You want to eat foods in their most natural state--I know what you're thinking--I can't have my morning doughnut and afternoon snickers?! I'm sorry to pounce on your sugar high, but absolutely not. All those processed carbohydrates spike your insulin levels, which stops your body from burning fat. That doesn't sound good does it?

To get the healthy body you deserve, I recommend eating 5-6 small meals each day divided into equal calories every 2.5-3 hours to keep your metabolism moving. Not only is it good for your metabolism, but will help you stay satisfied and away from cravings. Your meals will consist of lean proteins, complex carbohydrates and good fats. Your daily caloric intake should never go below 1,200 calories--this will put your body in surivival mode, which causes fat storage. I use the JAMIE EASON rule, take your goal weight times 10. This is how many calories you need to consume to live each day; add 300-600 more calories depending on your activity level.

Oh, and I can't forget about WATER--you have to drink water! A large amount of our bodily functions are effected by the amount of water we drink. I recommend drinking 1oz per lb of body weight. I know it's a lot, but YOU CAN DO IT!

Below are some nutrient dense foods that should be incorporated into your diet plan. Each meal should consist of a healthy fat, lean protein and complex carbohydrate. However, there's ONE exception---I don't recommend eating carbohydrates past 6 p.m. Carbohydrates are energy, and whatever we don't use for energy will go into fat storage. You say what?! I say yep, it's the truth.

Lean Proteins
Chicken (skinless)
Tuna
Lean ground turkey
Tofu
Egg whites
Red meat (leanest cut)
Protein powders

Complex Carbohyrates
Old-Fashioned rolled oats
Sweet potatos
Brown rice
Ezekiel Bread
Whole wheat pita (low carb)
Carbdown flatbread
Rice cakes (litely salted only)

Vegetables (Fresh)
Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)/Bagged Salad
Broccoli
Asparagus
String Beans
Spinach
Bell Peppers
Cauliflower
Celery
Mushrooms
Cabbage
Sprouts
Cucumber
Green or Red Pepper
Onions
Garlic
Tomatoes
Zucchini
Squash
Spaghetti Squash

Healthy Fats
Avocado
Unsalted, raw almonds
Olive oil
All natural, organic peanut butter

Fruits
Berries (blueberries and raspberries)
Lemons or Limes
Grapefruit
Apples
No dried fruits, including raisins (they have lots of sugar)

Now you can stop eating junk, improve your health and look and feel your BEST!

1 comment: