Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Feeling a Lack of Motivation?

Exercise is nothing less than hard work. Staying committed to exercise and living a healthy lifestyle can be difficult, which is why it's so important to find ways to stay motivated.

For me personally, the biggest motivational factor comes from how I feel on the inside. Eating unhealthy makes me feel sluggish. Not exercising, which is the best stress reliever, makes me feel tense and doesn't allow for a good night's sleep. The wonderful combination of both diet and exercise makes me feel so energetic, confident and more motivated in all areas of my life.

If you are just starting out on your healthy lifestyle adventure, I recommend getting professional advice before jumping in. This will help with any lack of knowledge and provide you with the best plan to achieve your goals. I feel that many people give up on their goals because they lack a realistic plan going into it. Setting realistic long term and short term goals will be extremely beneficial when it comes to sticking to an exercise and diet regimen. Set weekly short term goals, which are easier to reach--that way, you always feel like your accomplishing something!

The value of a journal can reap huge benefits as well. Write your goals down! That way when you lose motivation you can look back at why it's so important to you to keep going! Not only is it important to write down your goals, but your beginning weight, measurements and lifting stats. Like most people, our memory is limited in its ability to recall how much weight we could lift last week. Track your lifting stats, weight and measurements so you can visually see how you're improving each week. Lastly, track your food journal. Write down everything you eat along with the time--I also think it's beneficial to write down how you feel after you've eaten. I bet you'll feel much different after eating 6 double stuffed oreos than you would eating my "guilt free ice cream." Document how much better your body feels when you eat right.

Also, take some full body pictures of yourself each month. This will also allow you to visually see your positive results. Don't feel discouraged if results aren't coming as fast as you'd like, changes may be subtle but will happen! Stay positive and keep moving forward.

Here are a few more tips to keep you motivated:
1. Re-read your journal and the reasons why you started to work out and eat healthy in the first place
2. Everyone goes through stressful situations in their life--exercise is the best stress reliever
3. By a new workout outfit or tennis shoes
4. Find a workout partner that can help keep you motivated
5. Get a personal trainer who can help you with your goals and hold you accountable
6. Take a week off (not a month!) Sometimes we just need to re-charge our battery
7. Read fitness magazines--these provide a great deal of motivational articles and pictures
8. We've all been there--burnt out, fed up, tired and hurt, but keep your head up and stay in the game! You WILL be successful
9. Find a role model or someone you look up too. I personally look up to Jamie Eason, Amanda Adams and Jenna Webb to keep me reaching for the stars
10. Read through this list again!

Also, I've entered a competition through Fitness Magazine. I'd love to be the face of fitness and would appreciate your vote! Just click on the link below and hit vote under my picture :). I'm following my dreams--let me know if I can help you accomplish yours! I'm here for motivation, encouragement and professional advice.

http://photos.fitnessmagazine.com/face-of-fitness-contest/09/2011/35

No comments:

Post a Comment